About Me

My photo
Life is an adventure. Sometimes I yearn for boredom, yet it never comes. This is an account of my struggles & triumphs- my struggle to know God & understand the "why" behind it all. "Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain" This is just me - learning to dance - sometimes gracefully, but most the time - stepping on my 2 left feet..

Thursday, May 12, 2011

What am I Doing to my Other Kids?

Recently I answered the question "what am I doing to my other kids" from another RAD mommy.  This is a question I asked my self a lot in the past.  I want to share my response in case their is another RAD mommy reading my blog.  I hope that it brings you some encouragement.

"I think we all know what you are talking about. My son has done significant damage to my other children and for a long time all I did was worry about what I was doing to my bio kids. This year we came to a crossroad - my son is extremely dangerous at times so we had some hard decisions to make. We ended up sending him to out of state residential treatment. What has amazed me is how much my kids miss him now that they have had a little respite. They pray for their brother and my kids can (and have) taught many other children about mental illness. Our bio kids have something valuable - they understand how to love when the going is really tough -- they understand that love is not always a feeling, but many times a decision. They have a strong since of family and what you do for someone you love. Don't short change yourself - you are teaching your other kids to be incredible people - you are teaching them how to grow through pain and not give in to it. They are learning things many adults never will. Take heart - you are in the midst of the storm so it's hard to see the rainbow - but it is there."

Dancing with my kids....

No comments:

Post a Comment