About Me

My photo
Life is an adventure. Sometimes I yearn for boredom, yet it never comes. This is an account of my struggles & triumphs- my struggle to know God & understand the "why" behind it all. "Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain" This is just me - learning to dance - sometimes gracefully, but most the time - stepping on my 2 left feet..

Monday, April 25, 2011

Easter

Easter is one of my favorite holidays.  Only Christmas is more fun.  It is chocked full of tradition, family, and religious significance.  I love getting ready for Easter!  I am by nature a gift giver – it is by far one of my favorite things to do.  I love shopping for weeks on end looking for just the right item that will bring a smile to those that I love.  It is very hard for me not to “overdo” in this area – but it is soooo much fun!  This year I felt very successful.
Friday I gave my mom her basket; she loved it! She was so cute – she actually clapped her hands.  She looked at each item and the joy it brought her, gave me so much happiness. She kept saying, “You didn’t have to do this – but I’m so glad you did”   My dad was cute too – he collects lighters shaped like different items and I had a motorcycle in there for him – he was so impressed with it.  I wish I could make them that happy all the time.  An Easter basket is such a small thing to bring such joy.
After dinner –“Daddy” told the Easter story to the kids, stressing the reason for Christ’s death and resurrection.  It amazes me how much the kids know of the details of the story – they pay such close attention.  This to brings me a lot of happiness.  My relationship with Christ is very important to me & I love to see my children growing in this area.
Then it was Easter basket time.  Again I felt very successful.  The kids really liked what was in their baskets and most of it was “surprise” items.  Even my husband was delighted with his little trinkets. (This was a little harder to do – it’s very difficult to buy for him because there are few things he wants – but I found them).  My oldest child’s “love Language” (Gary Smalley) is gift – giving.  So it’s really fun to watch her, she knows that Mommy plans the baskets for weeks and her expression as she’s looking at her treasures  is priceless.
My youngest daughter surprised me this year – she also had made a basket for Mommy & Daddy.  (When your children are homeschooled they don’t usually make all the gifts they do in school for mommy (it would just feel weird to say “let’s make me a mother’s day present).  It was so sweet.  She had drawn my favorite animals and colored various pictures.  She said, “I know how much you like artwork on the frig Mommy”  She had put so much thought into “which” pictures to give me – items that I will treasure forever.
The best part of Easter this year was our family being together.  Well worth the 16 hour trip.  Because of being on base, I have a full kitchen and dining room table.  I was able to make Easter dinner and we were able to sit at a table (not hotel beds, or a restaurant table) and eat it – as a family.  My youngest son did earn his pass after all and it made everyone very happy.  It seemed to be a “normal Easter” – at least as normal as possible
This was my day.  It probably was nothing special to anyone else, but to me – a wonderful memory that I will stick in the pocket of my heart – to pull out on days that are not quite so good.
Today, I danced for joy.

No comments:

Post a Comment