About Me

My photo
Life is an adventure. Sometimes I yearn for boredom, yet it never comes. This is an account of my struggles & triumphs- my struggle to know God & understand the "why" behind it all. "Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain" This is just me - learning to dance - sometimes gracefully, but most the time - stepping on my 2 left feet..

Tuesday, June 7, 2011

Court & Slowing Down

Court went well yesterday.  Our lawyer and DCF (Department of Children and Families) spent more time arguing BEFORE the judge came in than the actual court time took.  I just sat there and listened - it's amazing what a lawyer thinks of that I never would - so glad we have one.

As I'm getting ready for Arkansas I find myself having to "reassess" some of my goals.  I am a goal maker.  I LOVE the big picture & making all the goals and steps that are needed to get there ( sometimes the carrying out of the steps are hard for me -- but the planning process -- I love)  Because I am this type of person my goals are sometimes too big.  Do you ever do that?  I try to teach my children to challenge themselves with goals - but still make those goals within reach.  I have to remind them sometimes that it's okay to have several small goals that lead up to a big one - you don't just have to have the big one.  This is where I find myself this morning - maybe I need to make some of these goals for the summer smaller & not put a time frame on the "big one" that they lead up too.

As the children are packing for the summer I find myself saying - "Don't forget your Biblebee things, pack whatever school books you are not finished with yet, don't forget your guitars so you can continue practicing."  Plus we are talking about the different activities we will do while we are in Arkansas.  I have high hopes for my son that is in residential.  And we are going to bond like never before as a family.

Hmmmm - so basically we are going to do everything we do now - plus Biblebee plus spend time at the hospital plus lots of fun summer activities & still end up like "the Waltons" by the end of the summer  hmmm "good night John boy"....Okay I need to rethink -- What are my goals for the summer? - I need to streamline so that everyone can feel successful and happy.  Everyone follows mama's lead - when I do too much so do they & it makes everyone cranky -- simplicity -- that is what we need -- or a least something simpler than going at 90 miles an hour all summer.  Busyness does not  equal structure.

A long time ago my pastor in Japan, Chuck Gafford said "There are many good things life has to offer - God wants to give you the best things.  You can't always have the best things if you have already filled everything up with the good things - leave room for God to help you in your plans so that you can have the best things"  We've been gone from Japan about 16 years now - yet I still remember that part of the sermon.

I want the best things for my children - not just the good things - today I have to slow down - reprioritize and rethink which goals need to be moved to the top of my list and to which ones it is okay to say good-bye.

Dancing the two step instead of the Macarena,

Amy

1 comment: